James Alan Bowden, M.D.
Dr. Bowden is originally from McCamey, Texas. After earning his undergraduate degree from Baylor University, he went on to obtain his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine. After an internship, he served two years as a U.S. Navy physician in Long Beach, California.Subsequently, he went on to serve a year of postgraduate general surgery training at the Ben Taub General Hospital in Houston, Texas. For the next four years, Dr. Bowden continued advanced training on his chosen specialty, orthopaedic surgery, as part of his residency at the Baylor College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals. In addition, he completed a training program, or fellowship, subspecializing in sports medicine at the Hughston Sports Medicine Clinic in Columbus, Georgia, affiliated with the Tulane School of Medicine. He has been practicing orthopaedics in Waco for almost 30 years.
As an orthopaedic surgeon, he takes pride in the focus Waco Bone & Joint places on treating a broad range of musculoskeletal diseases and conditions, including sports medicine injuries. Serving as a team physician for Baylor University since 1975, Dr. Bowden takes great pleasure in working with young athletes and helping them pull through their sports-related injuries.
When not practicing medicine, Dr. Bowden enjoys fishing, hiking, sports, and exercise. He is a pilot and enjoys flying, as well as leading a Bible study group. Additionally, he takes an active role in the community and is involved in continuing medical education.
Education, Training & Research
- Graduation, Baylor University College of Medicine
- General Surgery Internship, Ben Taub General Hospital in Houston, Texas
- General Surgery Residency, Baylor College of Medicine
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Baylor College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals
- Sports Medicine Fellowship, Hughston Sports Medicine Clinic – affiliate of Tulane School of Medicine
- Board Certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Team Physician, Baylor University since 1975
- Member, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, McLennan County Medical Society
- Member, Texas Medical Association
- Member, Texas Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, Texas Orthopaedic Association
- Honorary Member of the National Athletic Trainers Association and Southwest Athletic Trainers Association